It’s December 1st, which means the holiday season is officially upon us! One of the most common things I hear from people, is that they fall “off track” when they travel. It’s understandable-sometimes we don’t have as much control over what we’re eating, but this isn’t an excuse for poor nutrition.
You might be wondering how you can both enjoy yourself while you’re traveling and still stay on track with your fitness and nutrition goals.
Here are 9 tips for doing just that:
- Bring your reusable water bottle. You can make sure you’re drinking at least 80 – 100 oz of water a day no matter where you are. Bring whatever bottle works for you and prioritize your hydration! Add electrolytes for increased benefits like LMNT.
- Pack shelf stable snacks. Rx products (bars, oats, nut butters), Fuel For Fire, nuts, applesauce, whey protein + shaker bottle, turkey jerkey.
- Eat veggies at least twice a day. If you’ve got a kitchen where you are going – great! Raw veggies take no prep time at all and make for great snacks. If not – no worries-just be sure to order them with your meals!
- Don’t skip meals! This-without fail-leads to overeating the next time you do eat. Get something in every 3-4 hours.
- If possible-opt to stay somewhere you have access to a kitchen so that you can some of your own meals! (AirBNBs vs Hotels)
- Get some movement in each day-take a walk, go for a hike, do some yoga or pack a set of dumbbells and get a quick WOD in! Or look to drop-in at a local CrossFit affiliate!
- When eating at a restaurant, look at the menu ahead of time and go in with a plan!
- Prepare something BEFORE you go on your trip and pop it in the freezer, so that when you get home, you don’t need to think about meal prep right away. My favorite freezer friendly options: BBQ Pulled Chicken and Buffalo Pulled Chicken.
- Finally, ditch the “all or nothing” mindset. ENJOY yourself and don’t stress about perfection! If you can hold yourself to 80% quality food and 20% treat stuff, you’ll come out way ahead versus if you just went completely off track.
This holiday season, see if you can pick a few of these and REALLY implement them.
Need help staying accountable? Talk with a Coach in class or shoot us a message, we are happy to help!