5 Tips to Improve your Rowing!
Rowing is one of the most common cardio tools that we use in CrossFit! Learning how to get the best bang for your buck will help you improve your times and scores while also giving you a full body workout! Here are 5 tips to help you get the most out of your Concept 2:
- Focus on technique: Good form is essential when rowing to avoid injury and get the most out of your workout. Keep your back straight, engage your core, and make sure to drive with your legs first before using your arms. Practice makes perfect, so take the time during warmups or low intensity moments to focus on technique and get feedback from a coach to refine your skill.
- Incorporate interval training: Interval training involves alternating short, high-intensity bursts of exercise with periods of rest or lighter activity. This type of workout can be highly effective with rowing, as it allows you to build both endurance and power. Try doing 30-second all-out sprints, followed by 2-3 minutes of steady-state rowing. You can also do some tabata intervals; 8 rounds of :20 ON then :10 REST
- Vary your resistance and settings: Finding the right settings on the machine is key for you to maximize your abilities. Play around with different foot settings and resistances to figure out what is going to help you move best.
- Keep track of things: Everyone is starting at a different point with fitness and the rowing machine is no exception. The great part of the rower is the instant feedback that you receive. Monitor what are comfortable paces, smooth strokes per minute (SPM) and develop a sense of where your rowing capacity is. Only then can you learn how to push your limits and improve!
- Breathing: Like most cardio based moves, breathing is crucial. The best way to do this is to INhale on the way IN to the screen and then EXhale as your Exert force away. Once you make this a habit, you will find it so much easier to crush rowing WODS!
In conclusion, by focusing on technique, incorporating interval training, and varying your resistance and settings, you can get the most out of your Rowing. Learn more about your speeds and breathing and you’ll be well on your way to PRing all of your scores J