The holiday season is synonymous with joy, family gatherings, and, of course, an abundance of delicious food and festivities. While it’s a time for relaxation and celebration, maintaining a balance between holiday indulgences and your CrossFit training can be a bit of a juggling act. Fear not, as this survival guide is designed to help you navigate the festive season without derailing your fitness goals.
1. Planning and Prioritizing Workouts
The key to staying on track is planning. With parties and family obligations, your regular workout schedule might need some adjusting.
- Schedule Workouts in Advance: Look at your holiday calendar and pencil in your workouts. Treat them as unmissable appointments, no different than a dentist or doctor appointment. Self-care is self-care, right?
- Opt for Morning Workouts: Try to get your workout done in the morning. It’s easier than trying to fit it in after a day full of activities and when you’re likely to feel full or tired.
- Be Flexible with Your Routine: If you can’t make it to the gym, have a home workout plan ready. Bodyweight exercises or a quick HIIT session can be effective. Even going for a 20 minute walk is better than nothing!
2. Mindful Eating During the Festivities
Enjoy the holiday feasts without overindulgence. It’s all about balance and making smart choices.
- Don’t Skip Meals: Avoid going to parties on an empty stomach. Eating a healthy meal beforehand can reduce the chances of overeating.
- Choose Wisely: Fill your plate with vegetables and lean proteins first, then add smaller portions of the more indulgent items.
- Practice Portion Control: You can try everything, just keep the portions small.
- Hydrate: Keep water intake up. It’s easy to mistake thirst for hunger.
3. Handling Holiday Treats
Sweets and treats are a big part of holiday celebrations. You don’t have to deprive yourself, but a little strategy can go a long way.
- Pick Your Favorites: Instead of sampling every dessert, choose one or two of your most favorite holiday treats to enjoy.
- Share the Joy: Share a dessert with someone to satisfy your sweet tooth without going overboard.
4. Dealing with Holiday Stress
The holidays, while joyful, can also be stressful, which can impact your fitness routine.
- Stay Mindful: Practice stress-reducing techniques like deep breathing, meditation, or yoga.
- Get Enough Sleep: Prioritize rest. Good sleep is crucial for recovery and keeping stress levels in check.
- Take Time for Yourself: Even amidst the hustle and bustle, carve out some time for relaxation and self-care.
5. Staying Motivated
Keeping your fitness motivation high during the holidays can be challenging but not impossible.
- Set Short-Term Goals: Having specific, achievable goals for the holiday season can keep you focused.
- Engage in Holiday Fitness Challenges: We have a GOALS board up, and also a rowing challenge!
- Reflect on Your Achievements: Look back at the progress you’ve made throughout the year for motivation.
6. Social Support and Accountability
Having a support system can make a huge difference.
- Workout with a Friend: Plan gym sessions with a friend for mutual motivation.
- Involve Your Family: Encourage family members to join you for a workout or a healthy meal.
In conclusion, while the holiday season is a time for celebration and indulgence, it doesn’t mean putting your fitness goals on hold. With a bit of planning, mindful eating, stress management, and motivation, you can enjoy the festivities while still staying true to your CrossFit training. Remember, balance is key, and the holiday season is just as much about enjoying time with loved ones as it is about maintaining your fitness routine. Happy Holidays from all of us at ResoluteFIT!